Sunday, November 3, 2013

Now I Know My ABCs...Sing with Me?


Despite entering the first grade this year, my sweet boy did not know his alphabet.  He was even unfamiliar with the alphabet song, imagine my surprise!  This lack of letter recognition and awareness has caused great struggle for the child in first grade.  To start today's  session, following a failed attempt at the alphabet song, I pulled out an app on the iPad that is for the Preschool to Kindergarten transition.


On this app, the child to listen to the alphabet song, practice letter flashcards.  He is also able to work with letters matching upper case and lower case.  Throughout the app there are several games that reinforce alphabet recognition through audio, visual, and kinesthetic approaches.

To my pleasant surprise, this app was a great success.  By the end of our one on one session, the child knew the ABC song and was able to identify the letters in order. Though it does not seem like much it was a great stride from our starting place.

No comments:

Post a Comment