Monday, November 11, 2013

Interventions, maybe?

As the child I have been working with each week is also my own student, the iPad tutoring assignment has lent itself very well to the needs of my classroom.  I have previously shared how great the deficit between grade level and my sweet boy are and as a result I am in the process of taking this student through IST, my very first IST case...!

Going through the IST process requires that I complete daily interventions with the child.  These interventions as decided by the case manager and myself will occur with the iPad.  The child struggles to stay engaged with academic activity and the iPad has provided the perfect way to draw him in.

This week during personalized learning time, the student and I worked with flash cards to practice numbers 1-12, as we slowly build his knowledge of 1-10 to 1-15.  Following the brief round of flash and recall, I brought out the iPad.  He completed the 1,2,3  Trace exercises as well as practiced addition facts. 






My student struggles with number recognition as well as understanding of representation. The child is very tactile so to practice addition I introduced a new game, Math Barnyard.  The student is able to complete addition fact drills that are leveled.  This allowed the child to practice the lower facts and now grow so quickly overwhelmed.  To address the tactile needs of the child, we used counting bears to represent the addition sentence.  This combination worked very well with the exception of one factor: the game is timed.  For next time, I am looking into an app that provides the appropriate level of addition facts without the timer.

No comments:

Post a Comment